Big Changes from Instagram, Widget Update Required
Instagram has made several changes with their developer's API, which affects the functionality of our Instagram Feed widget.
Unfortunately, several restrictions have been put into place, effective June 1st. These changes impact apps and widgets made by third parties. Our Instagram Feed widget falls into this third party category, as does all products made by anyone other than Instagram. These restrictions impact our widget in the following ways:
- Number of posts: Image feeds are limited to a maximum of 20
- Use of hashtags: Feeds can no longer be generated by hashtag
- Access Token requirement: In order to display a feed, an access token and User ID are required. These codes are specific to a user's Instagram account, meaning only feeds to which users have an associated Access Token and User ID may be created. Example: our previous widgets used Adobe's Instagram feed as the default sample feed. The Adobe feed can no longer be used as a default because we are not associated with the account or Access Token.
Our Widget is now updated to v1.4 to incorporate the mandatory changes.
Important: Any version of the Instagram Feed widget prior to v1.4 will NOT function due to the API changes introduced by Instagram.
If you have an existing site using the widget, it is necessary to replace the widget to maintain a feed. Please follow these simple steps to update your widget:
1. Download the updated v1.4 widget here: http://www.muse-themes.com/products/instagram-feed
2. Note the settings in your existing widget, and transfer those settings to the new v1.4 widget. Note that some previous features may not be available
3. Generate an Access Token here: http://instagram.pixelunion.net
4. Finally, enter your Access Token and User ID into the Instagram Feed v1.4 widget. The User ID is simply the first section of the Access Token before the first period. This can be 8-9 digits.
We're very disappointed to bear the news of these restrictions. We definitely prefer to boost the features in our widgets, rather than take away. These changes are unfortunately beyond anything that we are able to control. We will be closely monitoring this situation in the future, and will update if and when any additional functionality is available to us.
Thanks for the update!!
Hi guys, just a heads up the User ID can be greater than 8 digits, I just updated a client site and it required all characters before the period(10 in this case) before the widget worked.
Another heads up…the icons are not coming through for the lightbox, likes, comments, or instagram icon on bottom right.
There should be an option to remove these icons anyways. I prefer not to have them and I am not allowed to make them 0 pixels or clear.
Regardless of these kinks…Thank you for updating this so quickly!
Just to reiterate Patrick, my user ID was also all digits prior to the period, in my case the first 9 numbers.
Agree, thanks for updating so quickly!
Thanks for the feedback Re: 8 or 9 digits for the User ID. The article has been updated. Cheers!
Having trouble getting this to work any suggestions?
I keep getting the loading gallery… I have tried 8 9 and 10 digits even fewer but no luck any advice
Can’t get this to work added Access token and user ID as directed still won’t load
Thanks guys for setting up the fix so quickly. Only feature missing is the hashtag and it is truly needed. Any guess of a possible future date that it will be available? We truly need this feature. Thanks for the great work.
thanks so much, my client actually alerted me that the Instagram feed is not working
Any way to display the caption, comments, likes count alongside the image?
PS. anybody who is still having troubles, are you sure you’re viewing it in Preview mode? In Design mode it doesn’t load the images.
The latest widget version 1.5 doesn’t work, imaged are not loading. Any idea when it will be working?
Hi. Any idea how to get an access token for instagram feeder?
http://instagram.pixelunion.net is Hacked, so I´m hoping for anther site to solve the problem.
This widget is making my page really long and is displaying the images over and over: